Friday, October 30, 2020

Learning to Meditate using our Five Physical Senses



In my last blog, I discussed how using our breath is a simple and natural way to meditate. I found the more I used this simple technique, the easier it became. Furthermore, it is the basis of many forms of meditation.

Why is meditation important? There are many answers, but one reason is based on the Buddhist concept shin'en – translated as “heart/mind-monkey”. It refers to the restless free-flowing uncontrollable thoughts that run through our minds, holding us hostage and leading us down the path of unproductive fear, anxiety, and negativity. I am sure you will know what I mean! Learning to calm and control our mind is the most important step we can take to experience the inner peace a meditation practice can bring us. For this reason, breathing meditation was the foundation of everything we learnt during our three-month retreat.

Having learnt to use our breath, to experience a degree of stillness, our next lesson was to mindfully use our 5 physical senses. Here, we were asked to practice focusing solely on the sensations we experience through each of our five physical senses, focusing on one sense-door at a time.

Buddhism recognises our five senses are entrances into our being. This means that each of our physical senses needs to be mindfully guarded because they continually feed our mind with new information. If you are like me, the monkey-mind loves to name, classify, think, remember, judge, and worry about many things. Usually, in never-ending circles, all relating to the past or to the future; robbing us of the gift of the present moment. The Christian monastic tradition has taught a similar practice called custody of the eyes, ears and thoughts. Both traditions recognise we so easily go astray unless firmly fixed on a goal.

We were encouraged to begin with our sense of sight. I found this the easiest, to begin with, as I re-learnt to look and see what was in front of me without naming what I saw. For example, our retreat day often began before daylight. 4 am found me struggling out of bed and heading for the electric jug for the first hot drink of the day. I then sat on the old couch on the front porch, sipping the tea quietly, as I watched the dawn slowly transform the night sky. Being so far away from civilization, the darkness of the night was absolute and the stars were brilliant. It was awe-inspiring watching night being transformed into daylight! Having spent time with the sense of sight, I moved to the sense of hearing as I listened to the sound of birds or animals breaking into the profound silence of the early morning. Again, without trying to name what I heard but simply enjoy the experience of the moment.

Later in the retreat, we were encouraged to use our other senses, as we explored the fragrances carried in the air; or experienced the rich flavours of the food we ate; or the subtleties of sensation caused by the things we touched or walked on. I found all these explorations could not be rushed if I wanted to delight in the rich sensations our five physical senses have to offer.

Whenever we discovered our mind had wandered off into thinking, or dreaming, or worrying about all the inconsequential things that so readily crowd in upon us, we were asked to return to the sensation of our breathing. Then having re-established our still centre, to continue with our sensory meditation and inquiry.

This simple and engaging exercise can also be used when taking a meditation walk, for example, or as a mindfulness exercise when eating a meal, or while lying in bed, awaiting sleep.

I still work at developing these skills because they contain deep wisdom. The more proficient I become, the greater is my ability to live spaciously and with greater clarity. This, in turn, enables me to view life more objectively, and respond with greater awareness, with more skilful wisdom, and to treat others with more easily non-clinging compassion. It also helps me to enter more freely into the profound mystery of knowing God.

To be continued in my next Blog.

Kia mau te rongo me te pai ki a koe i to haerenga
May you find peace and goodwill on your journey.


Phil

_____________



Adapted from my book, Pathways to the Fountain: A Christian-Buddhist Exploration, Tawera Press, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment

Raising of Lazarus