Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Living Inside God's Imagination

 

Recently I came across a comment that intrigued me. It was made by the Catholic theologian, William Cavanaugh. He encouraged us to 'Live inside God's imagination'. I wonder what his suggestion means for you'?What does it mean to 'Live inside God's imagination?'

'Imagination' usually refers to our ability to form images and concepts of things not present or discerned by our five senses. For example, when the alchemists searched for the philosophers' stone, they finally realized their quest was futile in the material world because it was an inner journey. The goal of their search was already hidden within themselves. So rather than trying to transform metals into gold, they discovered the real gold was learning to become a living inspiration of the Divine, Creative imagination.

To live inside God's imagination then is to discover this Divine Presence within ourselves and in all creation. This sounds very simple, doesn't it'? I find it quite exciting!

Earlier this week, for example, my wife and I explored one of our city's walkways that wound its way beside a bush covered stream. It was a very beautiful walk. The trees were alive with blossom and bird song, transforming our wander into a sacred pilgrimage. I am sure you have experienced something similar while watching a glorious sunset; or a bird delighting in the gift of flight; or a delighted young mum gazing at her tiny baby.

Francis of Assisi also discovered the same joy in nature. Thomas of Celano, the first Franciscan biographer, says St Francis responded to the beauty of creation with an overflowing sense of joy that caused him to burst out in praise to God, because in their beauty,

In their beauty, he discovered Beauty itself,
and by following the footprints imprinted on creation
he was able to follow his beloved everywhere. (1)

To live inside God's imagination is an invitation to live as Jesus lived. It is to discover first hand that all of creation points towards their Creator. We read that Jesus talked about the fields and animals, the birds and trees, the crops and their produce – including bread and wine. Everything for him was a sacrament of God's Presence. All things were invitations to live within God's imagination. This view echoed throughout our Sacred Scriptures:

Ask the animals, and they will teach you; - '
the birds of the air and they will tell you; '
ask the plants of the earth, and they will teach you;
and the fish of the sea will declare to you.
Who among all these does not know...
in whose hand is the life of every living thing
and the breath of every human being. (2)

We all have our images and representations of God. I know I have mine. It is worth asking ourselves whether these understandings and beliefs help or prevent us from seeing the real God at work in our lives?

Sometimes we make things difficult for ourselves by not appreciating the depths of our faith. I know I can substitute the wondrous and life-giving mystery of God with something that diminishes me. I do this so easily when I think I am the centre of my world, or that God doesn't care.

Living inside God's imagination is about presenting my precious, vulnerable inner child, with all of its foibles, to God, in his temple – which is the whole world.

Kia mau te rongo me te pai ki a koe i to haerenga

May you find peace and goodwill on your journey.

Phil

_________

1. Thomas of Celano, The Remembrance of the Desire of a Soul CXXIV, 65

2. Job 12:7-10





No comments:

Post a Comment

Raising of Lazarus