Tuesday, December 22, 2020

The Time for Words is Over.


Recently, I had three opportunities to explore Pope Francis latest Encyclical, Fratelli tutti. The Latin literally means 'All men' although the encyclical is more inclusive and refers to “all brothers and sisters”. The phrase comes from the writings of Saint Francis of Assisi who sowed seeds of peace and walked alongside the poor, the abandoned, the infirm and the outcast; the least of his brothers and sisters.

Each meeting I attended, used a different study guide to help us weave our way through the Pope's discussion, on the social and economic problems facing our world. In essence, Pope Francis applies Jesus statement: 'Treat others the same way you would like to be treated ' (Luke 6:31) to all of these situations in his 43,000-word document.

While in principle, I support Pope Francis' Encyclical, yet I felt swamped by the volume of words – which reflects my struggle with other areas of the Church. Ever since the Church's formal beginnings on the Day of Pentecost, Christianity has become obsessed with words! I know this from first-hand experience.

I grew up up in a Christian home. I learnt to read the Bible at an early age and was rewarded from memorizing Bible verses. During my life, I have done 6 years of formal theological study. I've read countless books on God, Jesus and Christianity. I have heard (and given as an Anglican Priest) more sermons to last me a lifetime – and few were memorable. Why are we as Church so fixated on words?

As a counsellor, I soon learnt when a person talks non stop, they are often covering up something. It might be their nervousness or anxiety, their fears or pain. They may have Asperger's-type disorders, or even trying to please the person they are talking to. Sometimes they may be struggling with other mental-emotional disorders. Narcissists, for example, think that what they have to say is very important and entertaining – even if no one else thinks so. I am not sure whether any of these conditions apply to the Christian Church? Yet what I long for– what my soul-centre hungers for– is to be awakened and nurtured by the eternal love and mystery of God. In that eternal embrace, words are no longer needed.

My one-time Buddhist teacher, Tarchin Hearn once said:

A great breakthrough in meditation practice comes
when the practitioner finally discovers that there is nothing to do,
except be present. In this state, there is a calm serenity.
This is the quality of detached abiding. (1)


This is true for our us in our contemplative practice as well. peace and serenity will naturally arise in us when we finally understand there is nothing for us to do, nothing for us to say, except learn to rest in the Divine mystery and presence of God.

Rainer Maria Rilke once offered us a glimpse of what it means to live within this Divine embrace and the implication it will have on us and our relationships:

We will sense you like a fragrance from a nearby garden
and watch you move through our days like a shaft of sunlight.
We will not be herded into churches, for you are not made by the crowd,
you who meet us in our solitude.
We are cradled close in your hands –
and lavishly flung forth. (2)

Kia mau te rongo me te pai ki a koe i to haerenga

May you find peace and goodwill on your journey.

Phil

_________

1 Dyer, P, Spacious, Clear & Unimpeded... Tawera Press, 2003 p. 23.

2.Rilke, R.M.,'Book of Hours: Love Poems to God' (II, 26).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Raising of Lazarus