Wednesday, July 29, 2020

26. People Watching



'People Watching' is a common past-time. We do it almost unconsciously as we notice the way people are dressed or the way they walk or talk or by their facial expression. We may even try and guess their occupation and create stories about the way they are feeling.

The Zen Master Okada would watch his students and put them into one of three groups. The first group were very attentive and asked endless questions. They were head-centred people who valued information. They tended to quote and imitate other people's wisdom and lifestyles rather than learning to be imaginative and creative for themselves.

The second group he called chest-centred people. They valued their physical body and loved to develop their strength and flexibility. They were also people of courage and had great self-control and determination. As the chest also contains the heart, they were often very devoted students. On the other hand, they could become self-centred and opinionated. If pushed or corrected, they might respond quickly and even aggressively. This contradiction was not unusual. When we look back over the history of religious traditions with a strong devotional emphasis, they often responded aggressively when their beliefs or authority were challenged.

The third group of students had learnt to dwell within their belly-centre or Hara. They were a joy to work with because they knew how to "build a stronghold where the divine can grow".(1)

Learning to be at home in each of these three centres is part of our journey towards personal and spiritual growth. I wonder which of Okada's three categories best describes you? Are you primarily a head person, a heart person, or a belly-centred person? How does this insight affect your beliefs and spiritual practice?

I know I am inclined to be a 'head-centred' person. I love to read and explore new ideas and spiritual practices.I quickly become bored and skimp the time and effort needed to acquire the depth and proficiency for a meaningful spiritual practice. This is my growing edge.

For this reason, I deliberately exercise my heart-centre by setting aside time to enjoy the 'sounds of silence', with candle-light and incense, or going for walks along the beach. I value the time I spend enjoying the company of someone I love. I find all these experiences enrich the atmosphere for prayer. I also know the real work for any spiritual practice is learning to develop my belly-centre. This is the 'ground of our being' and the centre of our soul. That is why the Sufi's call the belly-centre the 'Organ of Touch'. It is here in the depths of our being we learn to sense the essential presence of the One who created us and 'in whom we live and move and have our being'.

One simple way I find that helps me engage my 'belly-centre', is to choose a quiet place where I will not be disturbed. It can be outdoors or in my room. Once I am settled, to take a few breaths and consciously relax my body and mind. I then focus my attention on the sensation of my breathing as I gently use my abdominal muscles to draw the air into my body. And I relax the muscles as I slowly breathe out. After a while, I begin to breathe a single word or a short sentence on each out-breath, one that expresses my desire to know God better. And as I breathe that word, I let it become my heartfelt intention to the One who has created me and in whose presence I am resting.

Kia mau te rongo me te pai ki a koe i to haerenga
May you find peace and good will on your journey.

Phil

(1) Garrie, Roshi John, The Way is without Flaw: The Teachings of John Garrie Roshi, UK: Sati Press, 1998, p 73.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raising of Lazarus