Saturday, July 11, 2020

20. Life Symbols

'We live by symbols.
Who controls our symbols, therefore controls our life.
Mr Justice Holmes

This past week my wife and I were formally professed into the Secular Franciscan Order. While it was a special occasion, it also reminded me that Franciscan spirituality has been part of my life since I was an undergraduate in the 1960s. I was reflecting on this during my 'power-walk' today, and how St Francis is a significant symbol for me – one that offers a lens that brings into focus a certain perspective of my life that has shaped my values and spirituality, and to some degree, my future, as suggested by Justice Holmes in the quote above. As I walked, one thought led to another, as I considered three possible perspectives (or Life Symbols) that could influence our psychological and spiritual life and the choices we make.

1.'The Lineal Perspective'.


We find this view echoed in Shakespeare's 'As You Like It':
All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances... until our 'second childishness'
followed by 'mere oblivion'?

This Lineal perspective considers our life began at our conception (or birth) and progresses through the years until old age and eventually death claims us. We find this view in the Hebrew Scriptures (eg Ps 6:5; 30:9; 88:10-11; 115:17; Is 38:18) or reflected in Dylan Thomas's poem, Do not go gentle into that good night.' Many religious traditions add to this lineal perspective by saying death is not the end but a doorway into a new way of living. We find this belief for example, in Christianity, based on the resurrection of Jesus.

2. 'Circular – or Recycling – Perspective'.

This view adds to the one above by suggesting we live in a circular universe. One example of the is by Jane Cull in her article on 'The Circularity of Life' (Ecologist,4 Nov 2014).
No living system is ever out of circularity, including human beings. Even in death, the molecules and cells... become reabsorbed back into the circularity of life.

While all life is in a constant state of change as the cells in our body wear out and die, the components are being recycled and replaced – until our life ends. This view reflected in the following Buddhist poem:
All compounded existence is impermanent; flashing like
lightening, fleeting as a soap bubble. All that is conceivable is
subject to destruction; the universe and environment and sentient
beings within it. Death is inescapable...

Any future we have is found in our children and in the good we leave behind us.

3. 'The Spiral Perspective'.

This perspective combines elements from both the above views, but is more open-ended and expansive. One popular saying on the web suggests:

The Spiral is a sacred symbol that represents the journey and change of life as it unfolds;
taking a labyrinth-like passage that leads to Source

This perspective sees all life as a sacred spiral that once began by the mind and breath of God at the moment of creation, and continues to flow in a never-ending personal journey. We are never left alone because this same Divine Source continues to hold us and sustain us. In this way, the spiral symbol is the pathway between the inward and outward world, that links and subtly holds all things together, as expressed in this simple ritual I use each morning:

Spreading out my arms, palms face up I say:
Infinite God in whom I live, and move and have my being – I open myself to your infinite love.

Bring my hands forward and together I say:
Intimate God, you always with me – closer than my breathing, nearer than my hands and feet.

Placing my hands over my belly-centre I say:
Inner God, you are within me bringing life and energy to every cell of my body –
let your love and life flow through me in everything I do this day.

These are just three perspectives I thought of on my walk – you may think of others. What do you think?


Kia mau te rongo me te pai ki a koe i to haerenga
May you find peace and good will on your journey.

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raising of Lazarus