Saturday, June 20, 2020

12. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei

Having grown up in an Evangelical Anglican Vicarage, the only early memory I have of Mary was at Christmas with cribs scenes and children acting out the Nativity Story. It was only later in life, while living in a Franciscan Community in the USA, that Mary became a significant person and spiritual presence for me.

I was making a Lenten 'pilgrimage' using the Community's outdoor 'Way of the Cross' – a series of 14 moments leading to Jesus' crucifixion. Each 'moment' was marked by a simple pole, beside a rough track, that wound its way from the valley that enclosed the monastery to the hilltop above. While reflecting on Jesus meeting his mother, I unexpectedly experienced one of those moments when the boundaries between the physical and spiritual planes became very thin. Not that I saw anything. It was an overwhelming sense of presence. That caused me to ask, 'What do you want of me?' – 'Pray the Rosary' was the clear response, and I began to do this at the Monastery's small Marian shrine.

However, my early attempts were not successful and I soon gave up. It was 20 something years later that the initial encounter with Mary's presence became alive for me – as a spiritual guide and Wise Woman who has become an important companion in my spiritual life (1). Part of what has fuelled that spiritual renascence has been the simple Franciscan devotion of the Angelus, which draws attention to three significant moments in Mary's life which also offers profound insight into the way God comes to each of us and offers us a framework for our response.

The Angelus begins with the words: 'The angel of the Lord appeared to Mary' (Luke 1:26-28). Here we hear of a young woman, who was spiritually open enough to sense the Divine Presence, willing enough to believe God wanted to be birthed through her.

While Mary first questioned the angel's outrageous statement before she was courageous enough to respond: 'Behold the handmaid of the Lord, be it done to me according to your word' (Luke 1, 38). As a result, 'The Word became flesh and dwelt among us' (John 1:14).

As amazing as this was for Mary – and no doubt incredible for us as well; God is present in each of us, waiting for our consent to be birthed through us. We need to be open and willing because “What occurred in Mary historically must be mystically re-enacted in everyone. Every soul is the elect of God, the bride of the Spirit, and the mother of the Son” (2)

Mary continues to be both an example and a spiritual guide for us, so that we too may become midwives of the Divine Presence in our lives and our world.
Come, Creator Spirit, meet me in this moment
as you met with those of old.
Be present in your power
and bring faith and hope, I pray.
Strengthen me with your gifts of grace.
Renew my life and bring to completion all you have begun
for you, O God, are my light and my salvation.
You are the stronghold of my life,
of whom shall I be afraid?
(3)

Kia mau te rongo me te pai ki a koe i to haerenga
May you find peace and goodwill on your journey.
Phil
 ______________________

(1) Two Modern Rosary Meditation Resources: Hail Mary: reflections on the Mysteries of the Rosary. | CEO ....By Br Mark O’Connor FMS from the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne. Praying the Rosary: A Different Approach by Ella Rozett a Catholic and graduate in Christian-Buddhist Studies.

(2) Quote: Rotzetter, A, etal OFM, Gospel Living: Francis of Assisi Yesterday and Today, Franciscan Inst, 2011..p 126

(3) Prayer: Adapted from the Ordination Service, A NZ Prayer Book, Collins, 1989 p. 896.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Raising of Lazarus